Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Tour: Kitchen

The kitchen is in a state of constant flux because I am always redecorating.  For now, this is what the kitchen looks like. The top corner cabinet was awkward to fit items, so I took off the cabinet door and placed my favorite turquoise containers in there.  I don't think that anyone would even realize that the kitchen didn't come that way.  I am struggling with whether or not to get a kitchen island.  If you have any thoughts, let me know!  The kitchen originally had an L shaped counter that was also used as a breakfast bar.  The previous owner took it out so that the space was more open.  I like it this way, and wonder if a small island on wheels would still keep the essence of it being open.

I can't wait to get my hands on some white paint for these dark cabinets so that it will fall more into the Shabby Chic aesthetic.  Maybe my Country Boy (see previous post) can help me with this!


Below is my small measuring spoon collection.  I am always looking for new materials and styles that these come in.  Represented here are pewter, porcelain, stoneware, wood, and the ubiquitous steel ones.


I recently bought some nice cutting boards.  The three shown here are:  turquoise stone inset; an olive wood board from Greece; and an etched wood board (the matching etches are on my wood measuring spoons, and have an adorable hedgehog, squirrel and other woodsy animals).  Other items in the basket are my hand carved wooden spoons from Africa.


Shown here is an antique coal scoop that I painted turquoise.  I found this at a shop called "Then and Now" in Shepardstown, WV.  It is a tad small to be used as a kitchen utility crock, but I cope.


Below is a plate that I have on the wall that sets the tone for my color scheme in the house.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this plate!  And it cost something like $6 at a run down flea market in Harpers Ferry, WV.


Lastly, when I first bought the house, my dear friend Mary insisted that I name my home.  Actually, many other people in this resort have formal signs by their driveways announcement the pet name of their home.  I am not ready for a sign, but I did have napkins made!

No comments:

Post a Comment